Description

I am a math and science teacher at a high school in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. This blog documents some of my journey as I explore the use of the Flipped Classroom model with my classes.

Saturday 11 September 2021

Decompressing and Errands (Journaling during Covid-19 - Entry 12)

Image of Black & Red crepe
from the Crêpe Delicious site

(See this post for some background if this is the first entry you're reading in this series.)


The Core Questions

1. What did you do today?

  • Took a long time to get out of bed - I always need extra time to lie in the first weekend after school starts!
  • Chiropractor appointment
  • Took my parents to vote in the advance polls for our federal election 
  • More lazy/snuggle time
  • Adjusted the pressure in my tires (finally got the warning light about this to turn off again)
  • Went to the mall for shower gift wrapping supplies; saw a favourite clothing store and remembered I also needed to do a tiny bit of back-to-school shopping, too (grabbed a sweater and a new pair of jeans)
  • Also grabbed a crepe at a favourite spot at the mall for the first time in aaaaages (the last time I popped by, it was closed, and even the Cinnabon next to it was only dealing with delivery orders and not walk-ins)
  • Bought indoor shoes for my youngest child to take to school, then more wrapping supplies elsewhere
  • Wrapped gift for shower tomorrow
  • Watched some Doctor Who with hubby
  • Printed off supplies to teach Sunday school tomorrow for the first time since March 2020.
2. What did you enjoy?

Definitely the strawberry-and-Nutella crepe. I ordered one delivered from a spot in this chain at some point over the last several months, but that's no comparison to getting it hot and fresh from the shop.

3. What did you find difficult?

Getting used to working and being productive again, heh :). I know, most non-teachers do not get the summer off, so this is not a complaint so much, but knowing that I have to prepare lessons for 5 days next week (remember I only had to teach my classes 1 day this past week) as well as my Sunday school lesson for tomorrow is definitely an adjustment.

4. What has changed?

The mall was busier today that I expected. It actually almost felt like pre-covid times -- not quite that busy, but not nearly as deserted as I've seen indoor spaces a lot over the course of the pandemic. I had to sanitize my hands on my way into the clothing store, and there was no seat in the fitting room. There were also no tables to sit at to eat my crepe (and the bench seats that were still in that area had too many people on them already for me to sit down without violating distancing). There were no more card and gift wrap stores in the mall - I was able to find most of what I needed at Walmart, but it felt like a loss to not have Hallmark and Carlton Cards available. The shoe store closed much earlier than I expected - I found shoes for my youngest, then just barely started to browse considering getting boots for my Halloween costume when I was told the tills would be closing in 5 minutes. I am used to many stores being open late evening, but that was not the case for this one.

The Stretch Questions

5. What are you grateful for?

New pants that fit and still look good even though I put some weight on this summer!

Also that the modified semester timetable means I only have one course to prepare for for this coming week, and hopefully I'll be able to use the "extra" prep time to get ready for next week, too.

6. Which changes do you want to keep?

Feeling more confident in car care.

7. What are you scared of?

"Scared" is overstating it, but it has been a long time since our Sunday school was open and first days are always a little nervous. Also nerves about having to put together a plan for my first full week of the modified semester timetable that will adequately get my students through the material I need to cover with them while still not stressing them out too much and considering all our mental health and also trying to incorporated things I want to like properly getting to know my students' strengths and needs and bringing in some authentic learning and moving them deeper along Bloom's taxonomy over the course of the week. Bit of stretching going on here and I hope I can grow to meet it.

8. What has stayed the same?

Strawberries and Nutella are an amazing combination.

9. When did you last laugh?

Pretty sure it was today, but I'm not sure what it was about.

No comments:

Post a Comment