Description

I am a math and science teacher at a high school in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. This blog documents some of my journey as I explore the use of the Flipped Classroom model with my classes.

Wednesday 25 October 2017

Sustaining the flipped instructor

We addressed this topic some in the flipped learning SlackChat last Tuesday:


The topic for this week's #flipblogs chat is similar:


I'll start with the more general thoughts I had in response to the SlackChat question, then address the more specific bits of the #flipblogs prompt at the end.

Little hands are...not so helpful.

The first thing that came to mind when I read the chat/blog prompts was this:
Spending quality time nursing and holding my baby/toddler and talking with my 6-year-old about the things that are important to 6-year-olds is all important to me, but to make sure I can participate well in that (rather than passively nodding at whatever the boy says while I'm actually composing a video script in my head), I also need child-free time to do the "stuff" a flipping teacher does outside of class time: write learning goals, plan and record videos, put together group space activities, mark papers (uncrumpled or torn by tiny hands), and so on.

Remember this guy?

The kids crashing this professor's interview on TV was cute, but I think I could only get away with my kids showing up in one of my videos by accident once before the cute moment of levity would become an annoying distraction to students trying to focus on the material, even if I didn’t lose my train of thought and go off-script with them around. (Maybe I could get away with including them intentionally if I gave them roles, but I doubt the baby/toddler is ready to cooperate with me on that front!)

I am trying to get myself firmly in the mindset that I need to do my recording at school, and I have indeed finally managed to record a video there. (I happened to get it edited and uploaded there, too, but normally I think I’ll be able to do those bits at home.) I’m trying to fight through the “perfastination” I mentioned in my last post, and just “get it done” instead. Hey, score one for progress due to reflective blogging :). (I'm also getting closer to having the setup I really want at school, but I was able to get that video recorded using an intermediate kind of setup just fine.)

A fishing coach...or, rather, a community of fishing coaches


You know the saying: “Give a man a fish, he’ll eat for a day; teach a man to fish, and he’ll eat for a lifetime.” Matthew Moore made this excellent point in his post on Sept. 27:
"In the end the biggest barrier to successful flipped learning is not having someone willing to take the time to teach you how to fish."
I still only know of one other person at my school who is flipping (there may be others I just don't know of yet). He just got started this year, although he's wanted to start flipping for several years now, so we're probably not too different in terms of our background knowledge about flipping the classroom. When you want to get better at something, though, it really helps to be able to draw on the experience of experts in that "something." A good expert can explain what he does to be effective in his own practice. A good expert coach can also support you in your own journey, helping you to troubleshoot when you run into obstacles and providing encouragement when you get frustrated with or disappointed in your progress.


I am very thankful that many in the flipped teaching community are this kind of coach. I've read Flip Your Classroom by Aaron Sams and Jonathan Bergmann, sure, and I've taken the Level - I certification course and am working on both Level - II and the trainer certification courses. Really, though, for inspiration, motivation, encouragement, and help with troubleshooting, the chats on Twitter and Slack have been invaluable. Lately I've been trying to check into the #flipclass Twitter chat (every other Monday at 8pm Toronto time), the Flipped Learning Network SlackChat (every other Tuesday at 9pm Toronto time), and the #flipblogs Twitter chat (every other Wednesday at 8pm Toronto time). To those of you reading this who participate in those chats, thank you for helping to boost my fishing skill :)!

Stakeholder support


For my flipping to be sustainable, I also need buy-in from most of the students and their parents, and I'd also need support from my admin team if a challenge were ever raised over my using this nontraditional approach. I can point to the research that supports flipped instruction, and to the positive response from previous students, but if I ever got a lot of serious resistance to flipping from students, parents, colleagues, and/or my admin team, I know there’s only so long I'd be able to fight before I’d be worn down and feel defeated. Fortunately, I don't foresee this kind of massive resistance on the horizon at all, and I'm looking forward instead to seeing what the students and I can accomplish with the support we have.

More specific thoughts for #flipblogs



Tools & tech:

All my students are very familiar with Google Classroom. This is my first year using it, but having a platform the students already know how to use to access content is fantastic. It's also been handy that my department has a cart that holds 15 notebook computers.

I continue to find it helpful to use Camtasia to record on my personal laptop -- this is what I saw being used by the first flippers I met, so that's what I imitated, and now I'm hooked. I also continue to use an AverVision document camera and a Blue Snowball microphone I bought myself about 4 years ago when I started experimenting with flipping.

When I get my lightboard set up, I will likely record the video with my Canon T1i but continue to record the sound with the Snowball hooked up to my laptop -- an early trial to see if I'd be able to get the audio and video to sync up right went well, thankfully. I'll save any further lightboard tech details for a post I'll make once it's actually up and running workably well, but I'm getting close (I have to prioritize getting some marking done first).

There are other tools I've put on my "things to try" mental list as they've come up in the aforementioned blog posts, training, Twitter chats, etc., but I think that's all I've been using so far.

Ideas & beliefs:

I suppose I should work on my ability to communicate my philosophy of education on demand, because questions like this tend to make me feel a bit like a deer caught in the headlights. Here are some ideas I can articulate, though I'm probably forgetting some:

Relationships with the students are one key to their learning. Flipping can create time to better develop those relationships. (Ergo, flipping is worth pursuing, despite the work involved.)

Spending time in class on a lecture can be a huge waste of time. Students don't need their friends around them to listen to one person (me) talk. Any time spent on shushing them is time that could have been better spent (on a more active learning activity, for example).

Assessment that is based on learning goals can be very powerful, if done right, allowing you to communicate with students, parents and all other stakeholders exactly what they need to improve to increase their standing in the course. (Ergo, it's worth making the extra effort to have gradebook entries that don't just look like "quiz 1," "test 1," "assignment 1," and so on.)

Flipping can make more time for more natural formative assessment, as the teacher can check in with each student in an informal way more frequently than she can when part of each class period is taken up with a lecture. This also means more time to provide support during class time to students who need it -- students who may not come to any extra help session offered outside of class.

Flipping can be a great way of differentiating your instruction to meet students' needs, giving them easy access both to a way to control the pace of the lesson (speed through it if they feel they really get it, or pause every so often and slow things down if they need additional time to process each "chunk" of information) and to repeat a portion of the lesson as much as is helpful to them. This can all be beneficial both to students with special education needs as well as those whose first language is not the language of instruction. (Ergo, my responsibility to meet the needs of all my students kind of demands flipping.)

Students need better resources for review before quizzes and tests (and for any reassessment of learning goals being reattempted) than just being told to go over their notes and relevant sections of the textbook. For students who can't or won't take advantage of extra help opportunities face-to-face, videos by the student's teacher chunked into segments can provide a great way for students to do a just-in-time review of the knowledge and skills where they are lacking.

Fellow flippers, what beliefs drive your decision to flip? Those who do not (currently) flip your instruction, are these beliefs in line with yours, and if so, are you satisfied with your current means of addressing them?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joy

    Many thanks for sharing your comments - thought-provoking and great to read. I am an English/History teacher in a senior secondary government college located in Canberra, Australia. We also use Google Classroom at our school and it's great (I think) to provide resources for extra learning - for me it's partly about 'curating' worthwhile and credible resources, trying to save students wasting their time on junk materials. Ideally, students would do a lot of this in their own time, but to compromise I spend maybe half the lesson time each week in a computer lab. One of the features of History is that it's an information-rich subject, and it also needs developing good background knowledge to contextualise people, events and ideas. So there's also a role for Khan Academy type short lectures - even though one student was rather critical of these. John Green is great, but really needs 'unpacking' at about half-speed. I'm happy for students (partly) finding their own way in dealing with complex topics - but I need to make sure that there is enough time for small-group collaboration, that individual needs are met, and that no one is feeling 'lost'.

    Anyway, thanks for sharing your ideas - lots to think about.

    Regards,
    Chris Kenna
    Murrumbateman NSW Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit and your kind comments, Chris! Providing that curation is certainly a great way to get your students' hands on some of the higher-quality resources out there. I'm going to add to your "ideally": ideally, students would also have been well-trained in assessing the quality, bias, etc. of a given resource so that they know what "junk materials" look like and to NOT waste their tie on them, but that is a skill that takes time to develop in a student (indeed, some adults are lacking in that regard). Perhaps there is a balance to be found between providing all the resources some of the time and gradually releasing responsibility to the students for finding materials that are worth their time?

      I wasn't familiar with John Green, but I've just looked him up now, and wow - looks like I should spend some time checking out whether some of the CrashCourse videos might be useful in my own courses. Thanks for the tip!

      You mentioned that you had a student who was critical of using the microvideos. I've also had one student who didn't like it when I assigned the videos -- someone who was persistently absent told me he found it harder to catch up when I assigned the viewing of microvideos I'd recorded. I found that odd as I would have thought being able to access the direct instruction outside of class time would have made keeping up easier for absent students (after all, posting videos of their lectures for absent students was how Jonathan Bergmann and Aaron Sams started down the path of flipped instruction), but I guess there is no one approach that works for 100% of our students. I also had another student who just wanted me to tell him what pages to read from the textbook rather than watch the video I'd made - that just speaks to the need to keep differentiating for our students, so I try to keep that in mind in my planning now.

      "I need to make sure that there is enough time for small-group collaboration, that individual needs are met, and that no one is feeling 'lost'." -- I love all of this. Sounds like your students are lucky to have you :).

      Thanks again for stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Joy

      Delete
    2. Dear Joy

      Many thanks for your kind email - and for the encouragement. I really appreciate your taking time to respond in detail. And I must say, I'm sure your students benefit hugely from working with you!

      Excellent tip about not wanting too much control over student enquiry - so long as the sites chosen meet (my definition of!) quality standards - my mantra is to use .edu, .gov, and .org sites, with only a very few acceptable .com sites - this does seem to have helped students avoiding dodgy or loopy sites on the whole e.g. crystalinks, answers.com etc etc.

      Glad you found the ref to John Green helpful. For History he is reliable and highly engaging - and very high octane, hence the need for 'unpacking'. I do find Khan Academy also useful for narrative overviews.

      This type of professional collaboration from different hemispheres is much appreciated. At the moment it's a beautiful sunny summer's day at 9.30 am! Sounds like your part of the world is having very tough winter conditions, so I hope everything's OK.

      Thanks again and regards

      Chris
      NSW Australia

      Delete